Secrets of the Stream
ISBN: (13): 9781484964163 / (10): 1484964160
Published: 2013 Innovative Writing Works
©2018 Innovative Writing Works
1. What "secrets" did you expect to uncover when you began reading? Were you right? Wrong?
How did that effect your enjoyment of the story?
2. As you were reading, did Copper Creek seem like a real place to you? Is it somewhere you'd
like to be? Why or why not?
3. What is your opinion of Jane Randolph? Is she someone you'd like to know? Why or why not?
4. How did Michael Randolph's betrayal of the Kohls affect your opinion of him? Do you think you
could forgive him if you were in Olivia's place? How about Henry's, Ruth's or Rachel's?
5. Friendship becomes a core motivation for several of the characters in the novel (e.g.: Olivia
Kohl and Jane Randolph, Michael Randolph and George Mason, Rachel Randolph and Louise
Richardson) why do you think such bonds are so important and influential to human relations?
Have you ever had a friendship like one in the novel?
Could you befriend the relative of someone who'd hurt you the way Olivia does?
6. Do you think Thomas Mason ever really cared for Jane, even in a small way, or were his
attentions really just an act?
7. How do you think the characters' pasts influenced the story? Were any of their reactions or
attitudes to past events out of proportion? Explain.
8. Why do you think Jane falls in love with Henry? What about him do you find appealing or
9. Why do you think Henry falls in love with Jane? What about her do you find appealing or
10. Of all the relationships in the novel (romantic, familial, neighbors) which did you most enjoy
reading about or seeing develop?
11. How did reading the story make you feel?
12. Was there anything about the plot or characters you found confusing? Any occurrences you
thought unlikely or unrealistic? Anything you felt seemed especially real or poignant?
13. Did any passage or quote particularly resonate with you or an experience you've had?
14. At the end, do you think Jane and Henry were wrong to keep the truth about the Mason's plans
a secret from the rest of the town?
15. Were you satisfied with the ending? Did everyone "get what they deserved"? Why or why not?
Other Discussion Guides: