©2018 Innovative Writing Works
Other Discussion Guides:
A Tent in the Wind
ISBN: (13): 9781496113580 / (10): 14096113586
Published: 2014 Innovative Writing Works
1. Describe Kara's character. What do you see as her strengths? What are her weaknesses?
2. Would you risk as much as Alec Adair does do help a friend? Do you think Alec took on
too much responsibility for Geoffrey DeMane's mistakes?
3. What is your perception of Geoffrey DeMane? Is he a hero in any way or a villain through
4. What was your response to Kara and Giorgio's relationship? Are they too close? Despite
the fact they are twins, how do you think they differ?
5. How did you feel about Madam Javorka? Was she wrong to put so much pressure on Kara?
6. Which of the minor characters (e.g. Lucy DeMane, Greta, Col. Bennington, Jeremy Davies,
Keshi, Vicar Kendry, Petro) did you find the most intriguing? Who was the least intriguing?
Who do you feel had the most impact on the outcome of the novel?
7. Of all the relationships in the novel (romantic, familial, friendships) which did you most
enjoy reading about or seeing develop?
8. How did you view Kara and Alec's romance? Was it a betrayal of Geoffrey DeMane's trust
9. If you had to choose between your family and your true love, the way Kara does, what
would you do? Is Kara a fool to defy the customs of her people? Would your answer be any
different if we were still living in Kara and Alec's time?
10. Why do you think Kara falls in love with Alec? Why do you think she prefers Alec over
Geoffrey? What are Alec's and Geoffrey's similarities and differences?
11. Did you learn anything about gypsy culture? How did it make you feel? Did anything in the
novel change your perceptions about gypsies?
12. What were your thoughts about the Invader's Amulet? Do you believe there ever could
have been an object with such power?
How did the gypsies' belief in the amulet affect your opinion of them?
How did the amulet affect your enjoyment of the story as a whole?
13. Why do you think Kara's grandfather chose to keep his family in the dark about his search
for the amulet? Was he wrong to let them believe he was dead all those years? Did the
inheritance he left behind make up for his deception? How would you feel if something like
that happened to you?
14. Do you believe actions speak louder than words as the Duchess DeMane claims? Do the
characters actions reveal more about them than the things they say? Are there any
contradictions between a character's actions and words? How does this make you feel about
15. Was it a mistake for Alec and Kara to wed? Do you think they will regret it? Why or why
16. Was there anything about the plot or characters you found confusing? Any occurrences
you thought unlikely or unrealistic? Anything you felt seemed especially real or poignant?
17. Did any passage or quote particularly resonate with you or an experience you've had?
18. Which conflict in the novel did you find the most difficult to accept? Which resonated the
most with your own experiences?
19. Which incident in the novel did you find the most heartening or endearing?
20. What, if anything, would you have changed about the story?