©2018 Innovative Writing Works
Other Discussion Guides:
A Pink Lady
ISBN: (13): 9781503274440 / (10): 1518753590
Published: 2014 Innovative Writing Works
Category: Fiction/Mystery& Detective/Women Sleuths
1. Which character made the most profound impression on you (either positive or negative) and why?
2. When Eric Masterson first mentioned there was a mole among the Pinkerton ranks, what were
your thoughts? Was there anyone in particular you suspected of being the mole? Explain.
3. If you were in Amanda's place, how would you have handled Mrs. Webster's obstructionary tactics
during the investigation in Washington D.C.?
4. What was your opinion of David Underhill? In his position, would you have cooperated with
Hannah Webster or would you have tried to warn Amanda? Why?
5. Do you think Amanda belongs with Christopher Garrety or would she be better off with David
6. Which of Christopher Garrety's traits did you find the most loveable/desirable? Which traits were
the least desirable?
7. Of all the minor characters (e.g. Penny Newlan, Marion Green, Helen Mills, Mercedes Vasquez,
Eric Masterson, Allan Pinkerton etc.) which do you think played the most vital role in the developing
the story and why?
8. Did you learn anything new about American history? Explain.
9. Before reading this book, did you know anything about Charles Guiteau? How would you classify
Charles Guiteau? Was he a victim, used by others for an evil purpose, or was he a dangerous criminal
who deserved to be punished for his crime?
10. Who do you think was really to blame for President Garfield's death? Guiteau? Power hungry
political foes? Garfield's attending physicians? Garfield himself? Would the United States be any
different, either now or back then, if Garfield hadn't been assassinated?
11. If you were faced with saving President Garfield from assassination, what would be your strategy?
Would you have done any of the same things as Chris or Amanda? Was there anything anyone could
have done to save Garfield or was it fated that he should die in office?
12. Do you feel Amanda was successful in her first mission or did she fail? Explain.
13. What do you think was Amanda's biggest mistake? What was her best accomplishment?
14. Does Amanda Brown deserve to be a Pinkerton agent? Is she up to the job or should Allan
Pinkerton have fired her in disgrace for her past crimes in Copper Creek?
15. What part of the story did you think was the most exciting? Which was the least exciting? Why?
16. Were you disappointed with the outcome of the novel? Why or why not?
17. Was there anything about the plot or characters you found confusing? Any occurrences you
thought unlikely or unrealistic? Anything you felt seemed especially real or poignant?
18. Did any passage or quote particularly resonate with you or an experience you've had?
19. Which conflict in the novel did you find the most difficult to accept? Which resonated the most
with your own experiences?
20. What will you remember most about this book?